Diabetic-friendly recipes should be as interesting and tasty as any other type of recipe. There is no reason why we should eat bland and boring food just because we have a pancreatic challenge.
Best dinner options for diabetics
All recipes are relatively low-carb (less than 20 grams of carbs per serving) and most of them take less than 30 minutes to prepare.
1. Chicken with salad
We carry out a selection process of the vegetables that we like the most, as long as they are without starch. We add chicken breast cut into strips with some cheese that is to our liking but without being very greasy. We can make the accompaniment with a little toasted or unroasted whole wheat bread.
2. Spring salad with balsamic vinaigrette
To make the vinaigrette we will need to beat in a deep plate ¼ of balsamic vinegar, 1 clove of peeled and minced garlic, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of sea salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper, we can also add a pinch of mustard
For the salad we will need 5 cups of green leaves (it can be romaine lettuce, collard greens, arugula, chard, spinach), 1 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half, 2 grated carrots, half an onion thinly sliced. Add the salad ingredients to the bowl with the vinaigrette and shake quickly to mix well.
3. Broccoli Cream
Ingredients for 4 servings:
· 2 cups frozen broccoli
· 2 cups of fat-free poultry broth
· 2 cups low-calorie skim milk
· 1 teaspoon salt
· In a medium saucepan put all the ingredients over medium heat.
· When they first boil, lower the heat.
· Take the broccoli and some of the liquid out to place in a blender.
· Blend until you get a homogeneous and tender mixture.
· Pour back into the pot and cook over medium heat until it boils again.
· It can be served with some low-fat grated cheese.
4. Mexican style chicken soup
This chicken soup is called "caldo tlalpeño" and it is exquisite as well as very nutritious.
· 1 large bone-in, skinless chicken breast
· ¼ cup of cooked rice
· 2 carrots cut into cubes
· 1 potato cut into cubes
· 3 epazote leaves
· ½ cup of cooked peas
· ½ cup of cooked chickpea
· cheese and chipotle chili to taste
· In a saucepan add the chicken and 3 liters of water. Let cook for an hour.
· Remove the chicken and add all the vegetables to the broth, boiling until cooked.
· Add the rice, the peas and the chickpea.
· Add the chicken in pieces and the epazote, season with salt.
· To serve, add the broth in deep plates and if desired you can add cubes of low-fat cheese and chili.
The keto diet is one variant of a high fat, adequate protein, low carb intake diet. The diet is increasingly popular, as the combination of low carb and high fat intake may help with some markers of health. The basis of the keto diet is to put the body into a state called ketosis. During ketosis, the body stops using carbs and sugar for energy and starts breaking down fat for energy instead.